In the modern business scenario, an optical film is something that we can come across quite frequently. But what exactly is an optical film? Well, generally speaking, any film that displays optical properties in some way or the other is referred to as an optical-films. These are commonly used in the construction of OLED and TFT displays among others and can be tailor-made to suit a variety of needs. Here, we will be taking a brief look at the types of optical films that one can employ for their businesses and the properties that define them. So, let’s start
A rundown of optical films
As aforementioned, any film that displays certain optical characteristics can safely be placed in this category. But, as the fact goes, this is just a collective term that is used to define a rather extensive collection of films that all portray the said properties, and are widely used for a variety of purposes. They are mostly segregated on the basis of the application that they serve. Let us observe.
- A diffuser film- Films that help dissipate harsh lights uniformly can be classified as diffuser films. Many a time we come across situations that are rampant with patchy lighting that can be detrimental to workflow. A diffuser film helps solve this by spreading out the shoddy lights in a manner that we need them to be in. The various applications of a diffuser film are.
- Used extensively for backlighting purposes during cinematography and videography.
- Used in lamps for smoothening out harsh lighting situations and delivering a mellowed hue.
- Lightboxes are extensively used in commercial photography to generate detailed and attractive product photographs to be used on various eCommerce platforms. Now, as you may be already aware, photographic floodlights and speedlights emit a blindingly intense light stream that isn’t really practical for commercial photography usage since that burns out the details. A diffuser film helps mitigate this to a large extent.
- Digital signages need to adhere to a lot of compliances while being effective in delivering the information that they are meant to deliver. These films can help tone down the intensity, thereby making them compliant and durable at the same time.
- Car displays need to do what they are meant to do in an effective manner and without fail since they deliver not only entertainment but also system information to the driver. Although their brightness levels are adjustable to a certain extent, diffuser films can perform the dimming in a better manner.
- Reflective Film- These films are extensively used in glass panelling since they help in maintaining interior temperature and thus save on energy costs that would’ve otherwise been used up on cooling and heating applications. Reflective films also boost the privacy quotient of the house and also protect the window from shattering.
- Reflective polarizer film- Developed by a Japanese firm, these films are frequently used in LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) units to recycle the polarized light that would’ve been wasted otherwise. Such a film enhances the customer viewing experience greatly.
- Indium Tin Oxide (ITO) film- If you are someone who is looking to turn a surface into one that conducts electricity, then ITO films are the way to go. Used extensively in displays, touchscreens, etc. these optical films serve a very specialized role that makes them pretty sought-after.
- Normal prism film- These films make good use of the principle of geometric optics principle wherein their acrylic prims can greatly boost the light intensity thereby making them a perfect fit for LCD backlights, something that can greatly boost the viewing experience and angles.
- Polarizing film- Optical films are widely used in the display industry and polarizing films are the titans. These films block certain wavelengths from passing through while allowing the others to pass through, thereby forming the image on the screen. Polarizing films display certain characteristics that make them a perfect fit for this application, namely, durability, high luminescence, polymerized, stress control, and process control.
These films are also widely used in the photography industry to craft polarization filters that can eliminate harsh glares, thereby ensuring that the photos and videos created aren’t blurred out or lacking in details.
- Multifunctional prism film- This is an advanced iteration that fuses the properties of a prism and diffuser in one. These employ the usage of modern technologies like beads, doping, etc., and enable the surface to act as a prism in itself. This is done with the aim of boosting the efficiency of the film.
Optical films are an extensive collection of films that are used widely in numerous industries and applications. From a diffuser film used in lightbox photography to polarizing films used in the manufacturing of LCD panels, these amazing innovations influence our lives in more ways than we can ever realize, and are truly a modern marvel. If you are someone who is looking to pick up some for your domestic or business applications, do your research so that you can get the one that best suits your purpose.
To read the daily news, click here